Location: Boston, MA
Apply: Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
About FUSE Corps
FUSE Corps is a national nonprofit that partners with local government agencies to work on a range of issues, including public safety and social justice, jobs and education, economic development, healthcare, and climate change. Our approach centers around a year-long executive fellowship program, which embeds fellows with city and county agencies to help tackle pressing challenges. FUSE fellows help to craft new policy, roll out new public services, and improve existing programs in order to better serve communities. FUSE was founded in the San Francisco Bay Area in 2011, and has grown quickly in response to mounting demand from cities and counties across the country. We plan to expand toward placing 80 fellows in 25 cities every year, and widely communicating the impact of their work.
FUSE is at an exciting stage in its organizational development. In addition to expanding the size and geographic diversity of our fellowship program, we are embracing the communications function as a core strategy for achieving mission impact. To that end, we are increasingly focused on distilling and sharing the insights from our government partners and fellows that will inspire civic leaders to reimagine innovative ways to tackle their challenges. FUSE recognizes that we can help effect widespread systemic change by producing and sharing stories of innovative best practices, and using thought-leadership to help build momentum around a growing movement of leaders who are reinventing government.
To help us realize this goal, FUSE is seeking to hire a passionate, motivated, and highly skilled Managing Editor to be based in our Boston office. This role will require virtual collaboration with colleagues, especially as it will report to the Director of Impact Communications, who is based in San Francisco.
Charged with taking on the day-to-day responsibilities of regularly publishing originally produced articles, the Managing Editor will shepherd the flow of story creation from inception to production. The Managing Editor will take ownership of the editorial calendar, setting and enforcing deadlines, and managing contractors and freelance writers. In addition, the person in this role will be instrumental in holding up the highest editorial standards while writing and editing articles that highlight the impact of our projects.
In this role, the Managing Editor will:
- Plan and manage all daily editorial operations
- Collaborate with the Director of Impact Communications and other team members to determine content and topics for publication
- Manage editorial calendar
- Research story topics, and work with the director to create assignments for writers
- Research, write and edit articles
- Enforce deadlines for contractors
- Manage production of content on FUSE website
- Oversee proofreading procedures and edit copy
- Assist in evaluating finalized copy for compliance with policies, style and tone
- 6+ years of experience in writing, reporting, editing articles, headlines, short-form and long-form content on multiple platforms.
- Experience in managing an editorial calendar and enforcing deadlines.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Multimedia software skills, such as Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, WordPress, and Final Cut Pro.
- Skills in using newsletter software such as Mailchimp and WordPress.
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills.
- Proactive, self-motivated problem solver.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a deadline-driven, fast-paced environment
- Ability to work collaboratively with a small, cohesive team.
Please submit your resume, a thoughtful cover letter addressed to Tina Barseghian, Director of Impact Communications, and links to published content that you’ve written or edited, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
FUSE Corps is an equal opportunity employer with a core value of incorporating diverse perspectives into our work at every level. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply for this position.