FUSE Corps is a national nonprofit that enables local government to more effectively address the most pressing challenges facing urban communities. In pursuit of this mission, FUSE runs an executive-level fellowship program in civic innovation that is focused on accelerating cross-sector collaboration and community-based problem solving. FUSE partners with city and county leaders to identify key strategic challenges and then recruits entrepreneurial professionals from the private sector who spend a year working in local government to address those challenges. FUSE fellows are uniquely positioned to achieve transformative impact across issue areas such as education, health, social services, economic development, public safety, and the environment.
Since FUSE was founded eight years ago, this unique program has grown quickly in response to mounting demand and has placed more than 160 projects in 22 communities across the country. We currently have more than 60 executive fellowships in communities throughout California (East Palo Alto, Fremont, Fresno, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Oakland, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Francisco, San José) and across the country (Cleveland, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, New Orleans, New York City, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, St. Paul, Washington, D.C., and Wichita). The response from prospective fellows has been equally robust, as FUSE accepts only 3% of applicants from among private-sector executives with an average of 20 years professional experience who are seeking a permanent career shift to serve their communities through this high-impact program. Over the coming years, FUSE plans to continue to expand toward placing 100 fellows annually across 25 cities.
FUSE is at an exciting stage in its organizational development – one that is characterized by a rapidly expanding program both in size and geographic diversity. As FUSE continues to grow, the organization is seeking to hire a motivated, detail-oriented, and independent professional as the new Partnerships Associate. The Associate will play an integral role in maximizing FUSE’s national expansion effort and sustaining current strategic partnerships. Working closely with our four Directors of Strategic Partnerships, the Associate will gain exposure to business development and local government operations as well as fundraising and community relations. The role will report to our Director of Strategic Partnerships in Boston, Devin Romanul. Core responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Leading and improving the Partnerships team’s operations, including data management within our client-relationship management software (Salesforce), optimizing technology usage, process improvement, and scheduling.
- Conducting key strategic initiative research and summarizing findings on city and county partnership prospects, including government leaders, high net worth individuals, corporations, and foundations.
- Staying apprised of news within our current and prospective partner cities by summarizing and synthesizing current events, elections and political news, Mayors’ State of the City addresses, and publicized city initiatives in-line with the Partnerships team’s work.
- Briefing Partnerships team members with key context and information on potential new partners to ensure team members are fully prepared in advance of meetings.
- Assisting with event planning and execution, including regional convenings and national conferences where FUSE team members are invited to present on the impacts of our work.
- Managing information and deadlines related to grant application submissions and reporting.
- Coordinating all existing master contracts and execution of individual placement agreements with government partners including administrative tasks and process improvement recommendations as well as assisting Directors with department level invoicing and contracts as needed.
- Project coordination in support of the Partnerships team including meeting scheduling, note taking, and sales process tracking.
- Designing and logistically executing the scoping process for all fellowship projects in partnership with Directors, including the management of a portfolio of contract writers.
- Creating new reports, dashboards and improving data management to serve the team and recommend improvements to Directors.
- Occasional travel and support of Partnerships team members in each of our active city partnerships across the country.
- Collaborating with members of the broader FUSE team in the achievement of organization-wide goals.
- Passion for FUSE’s mission and a demonstrated interest in local government, civic innovation, cross-sector collaboration, and/or community-based problem solving.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred; 1-3 years of basic experience in business development, sales, fundraising and/or partnership development.
- Proactive, self-motivated problem solver with high emotional intelligence.
- Superior organization and time management skills with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to critically gather and analyze key data points to help inform decisions.
- Excellent communications skills and ability to work within a small, cohesive, team.
- Ability to learn and work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment including multitasking and prioritizing effectively while managing a range of concurrent projects.
- Ability to follow up and follow through with all assigned tasks in order to meet aggressive deadlines.
- High level of maturity, poise and professionalism.
- Command of Microsoft Office Suite, and ideally basic knowledge of Salesforce.
FUSE Corps is an equal opportunity employer with a core value of incorporating diverse perspectives into our work at every level. We strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply for this position.