Location: Boston, MA
FUSE Corps is a national nonprofit that partners with local governments to help urban communities thrive. With offices in Boston and San Francisco, we work with cities on a wide range of issues such as economic and workforce development, healthcare, justice reform, public safety, climate change, education, transportation and infrastructure. Our approach is based on an executive fellowship program that is designed to accelerate civic innovation, cross-sector collaboration, and community-based problem solving. We work closely with government partners to design twelve-month strategic projects with clear deliverables. We then conduct a national executive search for each unique position to recruit experienced leaders with the potential to achieve transformational impact. By helping to craft public policy, roll out new initiatives, and improve existing services, we help governments work better for the people they serve.
Since FUSE was founded six years ago, we have placed 100 fellows in 21 cities including Seattle, San Francisco, San José, Los Angeles, Denver, New Orleans, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Washington, DC. The average FUSE fellow brings a graduate degree and 20 years of professional experience, often in Fortune 500 companies. The FUSE program model also prioritizes diversity and inclusion in every element of our work, including placing a cohort that averages 60% professionals of color, 55% women, and 30% first-generation immigrants. After their fellowship year, more than 50% of alumni have continued to work in civic leadership and 90% of our partner government agencies have returned each year with requests to host additional fellows.
The FUSE business model is based primarily on fee-for-service government contracts, with earned income currently representing 85% of our annual operating budget. Over the next three years, FUSE will double in scale to 80 projects per year across 25 cities in order to become 100% financially self-sufficient. FUSE’s philanthropic partners such as the Omidyar Network, Irvine Foundation and Kresge Foundation are helping to accelerate this expansion trajectory through a generous infusion of growth capital. FUSE is also in the process of piloting additional program services and strategic partnerships that will diversify our revenue streams and increase mission impact. Additionally, we are working to expand our publishing, speaking, and thought-leadership efforts in order to magnify FUSE’s contribution to the broader global movement around helping cities keep pace with the rapidly changing needs of their communities.
For more information on FUSE Corps, please visit https://fusecorps.org/.
At this exciting time in the organization’s evolution, FUSE seeks to hire an experienced Vice President of Strategic Partnerships & External Affairs to lead the overall strategic direction and implementation of its government partnerships, sales, communications, events and fundraising functions. Reporting directly to the CEO and participating in overall organizational strategy and decision-making, the Vice President will manage and grow a team of 5-10 talented individuals and be directly responsible for the following:
Strategic Leadership and Team Management
- Lead a team of high-performing professionals, ensuring that both organizational and personal development goals are being met and serve as a thought partner and advocate for that team.
- Build the team and its capacity through additional hires and contracting with vendors.
- Work closely with the Vice President for Programs to ensure that external functions are integrated with programmatic functions and ensure effective collaboration, cohesion, and unity within the organization.
- Support strategic visioning, goal setting, planning, and budgeting on an annual and long-term basis.
- Represent FUSE nationally at events, conferences and speaking opportunities throughout the country.
- Actively participate in Board engagement, including preparing and delivering organizational updates.
Government Partnerships & Sales
- Work with the Strategic Partnerships team to build and manage a pipeline of sales opportunities to ensure that FUSE is able to reliably and sustainably place a cohort of 40 fellows every six months across an estimated 20-30 government partners in cities and counties throughout the country.
- Ensure that FUSE’s revenue goals are met from fellowship contracts, while also ensuring that quality metrics are maintained with regard to the success-determining factors of each individual fellowship as well as the diversity of project types and geographies that FUSE is actively supporting.
- Help to build and maintain strong relationships with current government partners and ensure that FUSE is engaged with a wide array of local leaders in each region in order to support ongoing renewal sales and reengagement opportunities.
- Put a strategy in place to ensure that FUSE is continually researching, prospecting, networking to, and developing relationships with potential new partners with the goal of placing initial cohorts of at least three concurrent fellowships per year.
- Explore and continually develop new methods of supporting our government partners, participating in conversations about potential new lines of business and product offerings that will advance FUSE’s mission impact.
Impact Communications & Events
- Further define and work to understand FUSE’s communications target audience of civic leaders and continue to develop metrics for evaluating the degree to which FUSE’s content is reaching that audience and having an impact on their attitudes and actions.
- Work with the Impact Communications team to ensure that FUSE is capturing the insights and innovations developed in the course of our fellowships and that we are sharing them broadly in order to communicate best practices and highlight the organization’s impact.
- Ensure that FUSE’s storytelling efforts are compellingly articulated through a variety of channels, including articles, blogs, case studies, social media, podcast, video, webinar, and live events.
- Continue to build FUSE’s brand through events, media relations, strategic partnerships and the dissemination of thought-leadership content developed by FUSE staff, contractors, fellows, and hosts.
- Secure and represent FUSE at key industry events and conferences, identify opportunities for FUSE fellows and staff to represent the organization, oversee a wide range of local events that FUSE will organize in cities throughout the country and oversee a major annual celebration event.
Philanthropic Partnership Development
- Partner with the CEO to pursue and secure an additional $5-10M in growth capital over the next two years from three-to-four major institutional investors.
- Identify, research, network with, and successfully cultivate relationships with large foundations and high-net worth individuals who are capable of investing at least $1M each to underwrite issue-specific cohorts of fellows across multiple regions (e.g. five fellows in five cities working concurrently on a particular aspect of health, economic inequality, justice reform, youth development, climate change, etc.). Working with the CEO, secure at least two-to-three such investments per year.
- Support the Strategic Partnerships team in developing systems to more efficiently and effectively secure local project underwriting in support of individual fellowships.
- Explore innovative new ways of funding fellowship projects through strategic partnerships with nonprofits, foundations, individuals, state and federal government, think tanks, universities, corporations, and other organizations working in related fields.
- Passion for and commitment to the mission of FUSE Corps and a belief in the power of cross-sector collaboration and civic innovation to positively impact society’s biggest challenges.
- 15+ years of senior leadership experience in a nonprofit, government or business environment.
- Highly-developed relationship-building skills and the ability to establish positive relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Exceptional communication skills, both verbal and written, with an understanding of how to adjust message for a variety of audiences and an ability to effectively communicate the compelling nature of an investment opportunity to potential clients and supporters.
- Effective networker, spokesperson, and relationship builder, with demonstrated success engaging with partners, clients, funders and other stakeholders.
- Experience developing brands and communications functions to ensure that organizations are able to effectively convey the nature of their value proposition and impact to a wide audience.
- Highly strategic mindset, including the demonstrated ability to develop and execute plans for growth and reach those goals.
- Demonstrated experience building and leading talented and experienced teams to excellent results.
- A collaborative and respectful management style that focuses on teamwork and employee development.
- Ability to travel regularly in support of the organization and its goals, potentially including travel time across the United States of up to 30% per month during busy periods. Most travel will be flexible on dates and can generally accommodate various schedules of availability.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
FUSE Corps has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please compose a compelling cover letter addressed to James Weinberg, CEO, and submit along with a resume to Erin Reedy of Koya Leadership Partners here.
FUSE Corps is an equal opportunity employer with a core value of incorporating diverse perspectives into our work at every level. We strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply for this position.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with mission-driven organizations, institutions of higher education and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information, visit www.koyapartners.com.